Sciatica is nerve pain caused by irritation or injury to the sciatic nerve. At Keystone Wellness Center in North Miami FL, we specialize in the treatment of sciatic nerve pain. Learn more about sciatica, and how a visit to our chiropractor can help.
What Does Sciatica Feel Like?
Symptoms of sciatica are felt along the legs and back. It is also characterized by the following:
- Pain: Shooting pain in the lower back and buttocks is common with sciatica. The pain can be constant and radiate on different parts of the back and legs.
- Numbness: Many patients complain of numbness of the leg. Tingling and weakness are also common.
- One side of the body is affected: Sciatica typically affects only one leg.
- Postural issues: Many sciatica patients feel pain while sitting down, twisting their spine, lying down, or coughing.
Sciatica symptoms could be an indication of more severe health conditions like an infection or spinal tumor. It's essential to seek medical treatment at the onset of sciatica symptoms so your condition can be diagnosed.
Causes of Sciatica
Several medical conditions can cause sciatica, but many cases result from a slipped or herniated disc. Spinal discs are made out of cartilage, and when they are pushed out of place, it puts pressure on the sciatic nerve. Other causes of sciatica include infection, spinal injury, and spinal stenosis. Sciatica can also be triggered by wearing improperly fitted clothes or shoes and having chronic conditions such as diabetes or obesity. Our chiropractor will determine the root cause of your sciatic nerve pain before creating a chiropractic care plan to address it.
Factors that increase your risk of suffering from sciatica include:
- Jobs that require frequent heavy lifting
- Physically inactive lifestyles
- Being between the ages of 30 and 50 years old
- Triggering the piriformis muscle and irritating the sciatic nerve while walking or running
Men are also more likely to suffer from sciatica than women.
Contact Keystone Wellness Center for Sciatica Relief in The Villages, FL
Call Keystone Wellness Center us today at (305) 893-8822 for more information on sciatica or to schedule an appointment with our chiropractor.