Back Pain Relief
44 billion industry, it’s the leading workers’ comp injury, it’s the leading reason for disability for people under the age of 45, it will strike 90% of all American adults, it’s the second-leading surgical procedure, and it’s only getting worse.
- Up to 85% of the US Population will have Back Pain at some time in their life.
- On any given day 6.5 million people are in bed because of back pain.
- 5.4 million Americans are disabled annually due to back pain.
- An estimated 93 million workdays are lost each year due to back pain.
- 90% of all back pain resolves in 6-12 weeks
- 5-10% of low back pain becomes chronic.
- Only 20% of all back surgeries are successful after 2 years
- The total number of spine surgeries in the U.S. approaches 500,000 per year.
- An estimated $45 – 54 billion is spent on the treatment of low back pain per year.
Lower Back Pain
Low back pain and lower extremity pain often get put into one category, but the causes, and therefore the treatments, can be different. Lower extremity pain, when it radiates from the low back, is usually the result of pressure on a nerve. The pain is often in the distribution which the nerve supplies. Low back pain is often related to the mechanics of the spine. Muscle strain, arthritis, trauma, osteoporosis, and fracture are often causes. Often, disease processes which cause lower extremity pain can also cause low back pain, and vice versa.